Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Birth Story

We woke up at 6 a.m. with anticipation.
Surprisingly I was able to sleep well the night before.
Jeremy, not so much. He was so excited and nervous.
We were going to have a baby in the next 24 hours!
We showed up to American Fork Hospital at 6:45 a.m.
We checked in to Room 1 and that is when it hit me.
Seeing the bed and all of the machines set up for me, wow this is really happening is all I kept thinking.
I was induced around 8 a.m.
I started to feel contractions about 10 minutes later.
Yikes, contractions are no fun.
Every time a contraction hit I would go completely silent and still.
I would close my eyes tight and take deep breathes in and out.
It was very painful.
But I was very surprised I was not screaming in pain,
the contractions were very intense.
After about 2 hours, i received the epidural which actually hurt.
The needle itself did not hurt but when the medicine went into my veins, I could feel burning and my body started to jolt in different ways.
It made me very nervous, but the pain went away within minutes and the contractions went away within 10 minutes.
My mom, husband and I watched episodes of "The Office" while waiting for me to progress.
By 1 p.m. I was dilated to an 8.
By 2 p.m. I felt so much pressure and I told Jeremy to get the nurse because I felt like I needed to push.
Our nurse came in and she checked to see how far I was dilated.
She looked at me and said "I will call the doctor, your ready"!
AHHHH!
I couldn't believe it was happening.
I pushed with the nurses for about 20 minutes, my doctor then showed up and I pushed for another 25 minutes and Mazie was here!
She weighed 9lbs 9oz and was 20.5 inches long.
BIG BABY!

Now here comes the scary part.
Mazie swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid.
There were about 5 nurses in my delivery room and they were working on getting her to breath.
They rushed her to the Nicu.
I didn't even get to hold her.
They showed me her for 2 seconds.
And I'm not even exaggerating. It was really 2 seconds.
Jeremy went with her down to the Nicu.
She had to get a CPAP.
She was down in the Nicu for about 2 1/2 hours.
They brought me down to see her and I just cried.
She had a strange mask over her face that held all the tubes of the CPAP in place to keep her breathing.
We were so worried.
I had such a healthy pregnancy and now she is in the Nicu having trouble breathing.
I just prayed to God that she would fight through this.
My husband took me to my recovery room.
I was in their for about an hour and they told me I can try breastfeeding.
I went back into the Nicu and breastfed her.
After about a half an hour, I was back into my recovery room waiting to hear when Mazie would be released into our room.
The nurses gave her a bath and Jeremy recorded it.
After she was done, they brought her in and she stayed in the room with us the whole time until we were released from the hospital.
She was doing so much better and I praise God for being with her and healing her.

Pushing during the delivery was super easy. I was lucky. I felt no pain, just pressure. I knew when to push. It was great. I thought that would be the hardest part.
Of course I had an episiotomy, what woman doesn't know a days. Right?!

The hardest part was the breastfeeding.
She would latch on fine.
It was me who had the hardest time with it.
It was more painful then the actual contractions.
The pain from her sucking was unbearable and my uterus contracting back into place.
OH MY GOODNESS!
Is this pain a joke?!!!
But I continued to do it because I didn't want to give up.
Thank goodness for my husband. He would help me through it and just hug me while I cried in pain.
It's actually amazing how fast your body gets used to it though. After about a week I was literally walking around the house with Mazie hanging off one boob and not feeling any pain what so ever. Ha!
I haven't been breastfeeding her as much because I'm not producing much for her.
She is now drinking up to 24oz a day and I'm producing about 4oz.

Well that is basically the birth story.
It was an exciting day and experience.
I still look at her and think "Wow, she was growing inside my belly for 9 months"!
She is such a precious little girl.
We thank God everyday!








Nurses are getting ready to put the CPAP in.





Mazie is 6 weeks old

Love,
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kristin! I'm so happy to finally hear all about this. It made me cry. I can't believe all you went through with her going to the NICU! I'm so happy she is healthy. What an amazing birth story. I'm so proud of you, I'm so jealous your pushing wasn't hard!! I think I was just a baby cause that was the hardest crap I've ever done! haha.. CAN'T WAIT TO MEET HER!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...